For working parents, one of the issues is the availability of childcare. The Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (ECCS) has been asked to help provide information about childcare availability.
The Covid pandemic has impacted childcare centers from a staffing standpoint and many places have limited openings because they can’t find teachers and assistants. All providers are working under COVID State restrictions on mask wearing, cleaning and other Covid health regulations and waivers. You can learn more about Covid and Childcare from the CT Office of Early Childhood.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers or Family Childcare Provider categories.
You can also visit https://www.211childcare.org or call 2 – 1 – 1 for childcare openings State-wide.
The ECCS initially surveyed childcare providers in Southington and the neighboring communities the week of 8/17/20 to create this list. Additional questionnaires were sent in January 2021 and August 2021.
Openings List Updated 9/21/2021:
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Bright Beginnings – has a few openings for infants and for ages 3, 4 and 5. For school age they have openings for before and after care.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jack and Jill II Day Care Center – openings in Toddler, Preschool and PreK classrooms. Currently, Infant classroom is full.
- UPDATED 8/19/2021: Giggles & Grins has no openings at this time.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Margaret C. Griffin Child Development Center in Southington has no openings at this time. They are accepting applications for their 3, 4 and 5 year old classrooms for families who are income-eligible, payment on a sliding scale. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: The Nurturing Nest is currently full and is only taking names for their waiting list for infants starting in the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Leadership Martial Arts in Southington – has a few openings for after school with transportation to Oshana, South End, and Derynoski Elementary schools.
- UPDATED 8/20/2021: My Little Rascals only has a part time spot in the infant room.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: My Little Rascals Too is full for one year olds and two year olds. Call for openings for other ages from 8 weeks to preK.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Town and Country Early Learning Center in Southington has limited openings.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Saint Dominics does not have any openings at this time but plans to open an infant/toddler classroom once they hire additional staff.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Stork Club is accepting applications.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA has some spots available for their full-day preschool program. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers. Preschool 4’s: full time 6 spots, MWF 2 spots, TTH 3 spots. Preschool 3’s: Full time 1 spot, MWF 0 spots, TTH 7 spots.
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Great Beginnings in Plainville – has openings for nursery school which runs on M/W/F from 9:00 am – 11:30 am and full-time Pre-K 3’s and Pre-K 4’s 6:30 am – 6:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Plainville Early Learning Center, Inc. – Full with a waitlist.
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Cheshire Nursery School – has limited openings for ages 2, 3 and 4.
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: KinderCare in Cheshire – multiple openings for all ages birth through four years old.
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Over the Rainbow in Cheshire – Availability in pre-k room (age 4-5 planning on kindergarten next year), very limited part-time options for toddler classrooms (2 year olds).
- UPDATED 8/19/2021: New Britain YWCA – Openings for full and part time preschool. Breakfast, lunch, and snack provided. In-person, online, and hybrid options are available. Care4Kids accepted.
- UPDATE 8/25/21: Southington Catholic School is still accepting applications for fall of 2021 for their three year old, kindergarten and grades 1 to 5. Their four year old program is full. They do offer before and after school options.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: Southington Public School’s preschool program is full for the fall of 2021.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA’s three year old Nursery School program which meets on T and TH from 9:00am-11:30am is full and waitlisted. The four year old program which meets MWF from 9:00am-11:30am/1:00pm is currently full and waitlisted.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: Village Green Nursery School has a few open spots in both the 3yo and 4yo classes for fall 2021. They do have some scholarship money available, as well as accept Care 4 Kids.
- UPDATE 6/18/21: Zion Lutheran Nursery School is full for the fall of 2021.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: YWCA of New Britain is accepting applications for the fall of 2021.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: Imagine Nation, A Museum Early Learning Center in Bristol is accepting applications for the fall of 2021.
Family Childcare (in private homes):
- UPDATE 8/4/21: Robyn Angeli – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Kristin Bausch – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jennifer Cook – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 8/23/21: Susan Cyr – 2 openings for before/after school care in the Thalberg School district. Will have 4 openings in June of 2022 for any age.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: Gloria Dorau – one full-time opening for age 2 and older. Before and after school availability for Derynoski and Kennedy Middle School.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Angela Griffis – two openings for age 2 and over, and one for before/after school care (but currently interviewing and expects to be full soon.) She has a full time assistant. They provide transportation to Flanders in the morning. Transportation to and from Hatton, Thalberg, and Derynoski.
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Beth Mearkle – opening for a two year old.
- UPDATE 8/17/21: Tracey Munson – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: Maria Nelson, Country Kids Home Daycare – Currently full
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Patty Rogers – Currently full.
- UPDATE 8/28/21: Marzena Radziwon – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 8/17/21: Marilyn Sargent- One before-school opening for Flanders school district.
- UPDATE 1/21/2021: Donna Voisine, Apple Dumpling Daycare – openings for children age two and up, call cell for more information.
Several family childcare providers did not respond to requests for information about open spots.
Contact information for these providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers, Preschool/Nursery School, or Family Childcare Provider categories. Note that there are additional providers who either did not respond to the survey or who preferred not to be listed.
The cost for childcare depends on the age of the child and their schedule. The cost per day is lower if attending all five days instead of part time. Extended day options usually cost extra. The cost for infants and toddlers is usually higher since there is a lower teacher-child ratio and can run $230 to $320 per week. Care for preschool age children can be $36 to $60 per day for depending on the hours. Care for school age children with remote learning support is $50 to $75 per day. Some centers offer financial assistance or sibling discounts.
Lower and moderate income working families can apply for the Care4Kids childcare subsidy program. Phone: 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or web site: http://www.ctcare4kids.com
Returning to School
The Governor’s office issued guidance to the school districts about reopening in the fall of 2020: Adapt, Advance, Achieve: Connecticut’s Plan to Learn and Grow Together. Districts put together plans for: reopening in the building, a split schedule and enhanced distance learning. Last year they offered a distance learning option for students who choose not returning to the open classroom, but they this is not being offered for 2021-2022.The Southington Public School’s plans for 2021-2022, along with previous information, can be found on their COVID-19 page under the “From our Superintendent”
The State Department of Education has additional resources for Families and Educators.