For working parents, one of the issues is the availability of childcare. The Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (ECCS) has been asked to help provide information about childcare availability.
Childcare providers in Southington and nearby have limited openings. Many can’t find teachers and assistants and the Covid pandemic has made the staffing situation even worse. As a result centers have empty classrooms and waiting lists. In addition, there was a mini baby-boom in 2021 with greater than 5o more children born then in each of the previous few years. There was already as shortage of infant and toddler spots and now there are more babies looking to fill them.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers or Family Childcare Provider categories.
You can also visit https://www.211childcare.org or call 2 – 1 – 1 for childcare openings State-wide. Once you do a search on the 211 Childcare website, and select a provider, you have the option to “View Inspection and Complaint History.”
The ECCS periodically surveys childcare providers in Southington and the neighboring communities to create this list.
Openings List Updated 6/28/2022:
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Bright Beginnings – has a few openings for infants and for ages 3, 4, and 5. For school-age they have openings for before and aftercare.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jack and Jill II Day Care Center – openings in Toddler, Preschool, and PreK classrooms. Currently, Infant classroom is full.
- UPDATED 1/13/22: Giggles & Grins has no openings at this time.
- UPDATED 6/8/22: Margaret C. Griffin Child Development Center in Southington has no openings at this time. They are giving tours and accepting applications for their waitlist for fall of 2022 for their 3, 4, and 5 year old classrooms with priority given to families who are income-eligible, payment on a sliding scale. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers.
- UPDATED 3/13/22: The Nurturing Nest is currently full and is no longer taking names for their waiting list.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Leadership Martial Arts in Southington – has a few openings for after school with transportation to Oshana, South End, and Derynoski Elementary schools.
- UPDATED 6/13/2022: My Little Rascals has 2 opening in the baby room and 1 opening in the twos classroom. In September they will have 3 baby spots open, 1 spot in the ones classroom, and 2 in the twos classroom. Preschool is on a waitlist.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: My Little Rascals Too is full for one year olds and two year olds. Call for openings for other ages from 8 weeks to PreK.
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: Town and Country Early Learning Center in Southington is full for all ages with a waiting list for the summer and fall.
- UPDATED 1/26/22: Saint Dominics has three openings in their 4-year-old classroom. Must be potty-trained.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Stork Club is accepting applications.
- UPDATE 11/17/21: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA has some spots available for their full-day preschool program. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers. Preschool 4’s: full-time, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, or Tuesday/Thursday. Preschool 3’s on Tuesday/Thursday
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: Great Beginnings in Plainville – Infant, Toddlers, Twos-no openings for the summer, Very limited availability for the fall. Preschool-no openings for the summer, lots of availability for the fall.
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Plainville Early Learning Center, Inc. – Full with a waitlist.
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: KinderCare in Cheshire – Summer: Infants no spaces, Toddlers 1 part time spot W,Th,F, 2’s, preschool/pre-k no spaces. Fall 2022: Infant no spaces, toddler 1 full time, 2’s 2 full time, preschool/pre-k 2 full time spaces
- UPDATED 9/22/2021: Scott Swamp KinderCare Farmington – No openings at this time.
- UPDATED 11/17/2021: Over the Rainbow in Cheshire – Currently full and wait-listing children at this time. It is best to call as available changes all the time.
- UPDATED 8/19/2021: New Britain YWCA – Openings for full and part-time preschool. Breakfast, lunch, and snack provided. In-person, online, and hybrid options are available. Care4Kids accepted.
- UPDATE 6/9/22: Southington Catholic School is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year for their three-year-old, four-year-old, kindergarten, and grades 1 to 5 programs. They do offer before and after-school options.
- UPDATE 6/28/22: Southington Public School’s preschool program is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year. There are 3 spots available in the PreK 3 program for community peers at Hatton ES and Strong ES. Parents pay tuition for their child to attend the integrated preschool as a community peer. In order to qualify, the child needs to be 3 years old by 9/1/22. There is a waiting list for the PreK 4 program.
- UPDATE 5/18/22: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA’s three-year-old Nursery School which meets on T and TH from 9:00 am-11:30 am is full and waitlisted for the 2021-2022 school year. The four-year-old program which meets MWF from 9:00 am-11:30 am/1:00 pm is currently full and waitlisted for the 2021-2022 school year. Registration for the 2022-2023 school year is now open.
- UPDATE 6/20/22: Village Green Nursery School is full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 3- and 4-year-old classrooms, but they are continuing to accept names to the waiting list. They do have some scholarship money available, as well as accept Care 4 Kids.
- UPDATE 6/9/22: Zion Lutheran Nursery School is full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 3- and 4-year-old classrooms. There are a few openings for the PreK 5 afternoon program.
- UPDATE 5/18/22: YWCA of New Britain is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATE 5/18/22: Imagine Nation, A Museum Early Learning Center in Bristol is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year.
Family Childcare (in private homes):
- UPDATE 6/10/22: Robyn Angeli – Currently Full, no expected openings until fall of 2023.
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Kristin Bausch – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 11/17/21: Terry Bourchard – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 3/17/2022: Darlene Butkiewicz – Currently Full, no expected openings until September 2023.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jennifer Cook – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 6/28/22: Loraine Carbone – Has 3 full time openings for children over 18 months. Will have 1 opening for a child 18 months or younger once school starts in late August.
- UPDATE 6/8/22: Susan Cyr – Currently Full. Will have one opening in the middle of August for a full-time child who is over 18 months old. Parents can call now to schedule an appointment – 860-620-7500.
- UPDATED 1/19/2022: Gloria Dorau – Before and after school availability for Derynoski. In August 2022 will have 1, maybe 2, openings for full time care.
- UPDATED 6/10/2022: Angela Griffis – One full-time opening for 18 months and older and one part-time opening for 18 months and older. She has a full-time assistant. They provide before school care only with transportation to Flanders, Hatton, Thalberg, and Derynowski. Hours of operation are 6 AM to 3:30 PM.
- UPDATED 1/18/2022: Beth Mearkle – Has a temporary opening for 18 month and older through late June 2022.
- UPDATE 3/17/22: Tracey Munson – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: Maria Nelson, Country Kids Home Daycare – Currently full
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Patty Rogers – Currently full.
- UPDATE 8/28/21: Marzena Radziwon – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 6/13/22: Marilyn Sargent- Two before-school opening for Flanders school district in the fall.
- UPDATE 11/17/2021: Donna Voisine, Apple Dumpling Daycare – 3 openings for children age two and up, call cell for more information.
Several family childcare providers did not respond to requests for information about open spots.
Contact information for these providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers, Preschool/Nursery School, or Family Childcare Provider categories. Note that there are additional providers who either did not respond to the survey or who preferred not to be listed.
The cost for childcare depends on the age of the child and their schedule. The cost per day is lower if attending all five days instead of part-time. Extended day options usually cost extra. The cost for infants and toddlers is usually higher since there is a lower teacher-child ratio and can run $230 to $320 per week. Care for preschool age children can be $36 to $60 per day depending on the hours. Some centers offer financial assistance or sibling discounts.
Lower and moderate income working families can apply for the Care4Kids childcare subsidy program. Phone: 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or web site: http://www.ctcare4kids.com