For working parents, one of the issues is the availability of childcare. The Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (ECCS) has been tracking childcare availability and openings in Southington.
Childcare providers in Southington and nearby have limited openings. Many can’t find teachers and assistants and the Covid pandemic has made the staffing situation even worse. As a result centers have empty classrooms and waiting lists. In addition, there was a mini baby-boom in 2021 with greater than 5o more children born then in each of the previous few years. There was already as shortage of infant and toddler spots and now there are more babies looking to fill them.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers or Family Childcare Provider categories.
You can also visit https://www.211childcare.org or call 2 – 1 – 1 for childcare openings State-wide. Once you do a search on the 211 Childcare website, and select a provider, you have the option to “View Inspection and Complaint History.”
The ECCS periodically surveys childcare providers in Southington and the neighboring communities to create this list.
Openings List Updated 9/28/2022:
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Bright Beginnings – has a few openings for infants and for ages 3, 4, and 5. For school-age they have openings for before and aftercare.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Jack and Jill II Day Care Center – Almost full with a few preschool spots
- UPDATED 8/24/22: Giggles & Grins has no openings at this time.
- UPDATED 6/8/22: Margaret C. Griffin Child Development Center in Southington has no openings at this time. They are giving tours and accepting applications for their waitlist for fall of 2022 for their 3, 4, and 5 year old classrooms with priority given to families who are income-eligible, payment on a sliding scale. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers.
- UPDATED 8/13/22: The Nurturing Nest is currently full and is no longer taking names for their waiting list.
- UPDATED 7/28/2022: Leadership Martial Arts in Southington – has openings for their after school program which includes transportation to several elementary schools.
- UPDATED 7/21/2022: My Little Rascals, as of 8/1, will have has 3 FT openings and 1 PT (Tu/Th) in the baby room and 2 FT/1 PT opening in the 2-3 year old classroom. Toddlers and Preschool (3-5) are on a waitlist.
- UPDATED 9/27/2022: My Little Rascals Too has openings for all age groups.
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: Town and Country Early Learning Center in Southington is full for all ages with a waiting list for the summer and fall.
- UPDATED 8/13/22: Saint Dominics, as of 9/6 will have openings in the 3 year old classroom for children as young as 32 months, but they must be fully potty trained.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Stork Club is accepting applications.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA full-day preschool program is waitlisted with a few T/Th spots available. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers. Preschool 4’s: full-time, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, or Tuesday/Thursday. Preschool 3’s on Tuesday/Thursday. Currently all school age families are on waitlists as they work through placing them and hiring additional staff. They hope to be able to accommodate everyone at least for aftercare. They are at licensed max is the morning programs that are held at the Y, that includes all schools except for Derynoski.
- UPDATED 9/2/2022: Carriage House Day Care in Meriden – Has openings
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: Great Beginnings in Plainville – Infant, Toddlers, Twos-no openings for the summer, Very limited availability for the fall. Preschool-no openings for the summer, lots of availability for the fall.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Imagine Nation, A Museum Early Learning Center in Bristol is accepting applications for their all-day infant/toddler and preschool program. Care4Kids accepted.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Plainville Early Learning Center, Inc. – Full with a waitlist.
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: KinderCare in Cheshire – Fall 2022: Infant no spaces, toddler 1 full time, 2’s 2 full time, preschool/pre-k 2 full time spaces
- UPDATED 9/22/2021: Scott Swamp KinderCare Farmington – No openings at this time.
- UPDATED 11/17/2021: Over the Rainbow in Cheshire – Currently full and wait-listing children at this time. It is best to call as available changes all the time.
- UPDATE 9/2/22: YWCA of New Britain has openings and is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year for full and part-time infant/toddler, and preschool. Breakfast, lunch, and snack provided. In-person, online, and hybrid options are available. Care4Kids accepted.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Childcare Centers category.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Southington Catholic School has space for the 2022-2023 school year for their three-year-old, four-year-old, kindergarten, and grades 1 to 5 programs. They do offer options before and after-school up to 5:30 pm.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Southington Public School’s preschool program is full with a waiting list for 3 and 4 year old community peers for the 2022-2023 school year at Hatton ES and Strong ES. Parents pay tuition for their child to attend the integrated preschool as a community peer.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA’s three-year-old Nursery School which meets on T and TH from 9:00 am-11:30 am has one spot left for the 2022-2023 school year. The four-year-old program which meets MWF from 9:00 am-11:30 am/1:00 pm is currently full and waitlisted for the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Village Green Nursery School is full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 4-year-old classroom but they are continuing to accept names to the waiting list. They have 3 openings in the 3’s program which meets Tuesday and Thursday from 9-12. Children must be 2 years and 9 months. They do have some scholarship money available, as well as accept Care 4 Kids.
- UPDATE 6/9/22: Zion Lutheran Nursery School is full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 3- and 4-year-old classrooms. There are a few openings for the PreK 5 afternoon program.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Preschool/Nursery School category.
Family Childcare (in private homes):
Contact information for these providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Family Childcare Provider category. Note that there are additional family childcare providers who either did not respond to requests for information about open spots or who preferred not to be listed.
The cost for childcare depends on the age of the child and their schedule. The cost per day is lower if attending all five days instead of part-time. Extended day options usually cost extra. The cost for infants and toddlers is usually higher since there is a lower teacher-child ratio and can run $230 to $320 per week. Care for preschool age children can be $36 to $60 per day depending on the hours. Some centers offer financial assistance or sibling discounts.
Lower and moderate income working families can apply for the Care4Kids childcare subsidy program. Phone: 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or web site: http://www.ctcare4kids.com