For working parents, one of the issues is the availability of childcare. The Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (ECCS) has been tracking childcare availability and openings in Southington.
Childcare providers in Southington and nearby have limited openings. Many can’t find teachers and assistants and the Covid pandemic has made the staffing situation even worse. As a result centers have empty classrooms and waiting lists. In addition, there was a mini baby-boom in 2021 with greater than 5o more children born then in each of the previous few years and that baby-boom continued in 2022. There was already as shortage of infant and toddler spots and now there are more babies looking to fill them.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers or Family Childcare Provider categories.
You can also visit https://www.211childcare.org or call 2 – 1 – 1 for childcare openings State-wide. Once you do a search on the 211 Childcare website, and select a provider, you have the option to “View Inspection and Complaint History.”
The ECCS periodically surveys childcare providers in Southington and the neighboring communities to create this list.
Openings List Updated 2/1/2023:
- UPDATED 1/21/2022: Bright Beginnings – has a few openings for infants and for ages 3, 4, and 5. For school-age they have openings for before and aftercare.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Jack and Jill II Day Care Center – Almost full with a few preschool spots
- UPDATED 8/24/22: Giggles & Grins has no openings at this time.
- UPDATED 12/8/22: Margaret C. Griffin Child Development Center in Southington has no openings at this time. They are giving tours and accepting applications for their waitlist for fall of 2023 for their 3, 4, and 5 year old classrooms with priority given to families who are income-eligible, payment on a sliding scale. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers.
- UPDATED 8/13/22: The Nurturing Nest is currently full and is no longer taking names for their waiting list.
- UPDATED 7/28/2022: Leadership Martial Arts in Southington – has openings for their after school program which includes transportation to several elementary schools.
- UPDATED 1/2/2023: My Little Rascals has limited openings, call for ages.
- UPDATED 9/27/2022: My Little Rascals Too has openings for all age groups.
- UPDATED 2/1/2023: Town and Country Early Learning Center in Southington has several openings for infants who will start in September 2023. They are full for all other ages with a waiting list.
- UPDATED 8/13/22: Saint Dominics, as of 9/6 will have openings in the 3 year old classroom for children as young as 32 months, but they must be fully potty trained.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Stork Club is accepting applications.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA full-day preschool program is waitlisted with a few T/Th spots available. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers. Preschool 4’s: full-time, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, or Tuesday/Thursday. Preschool 3’s on Tuesday/Thursday. Currently all school age families are on waitlists as they work through placing them and hiring additional staff. They hope to be able to accommodate everyone at least for aftercare. They are at licensed max is the morning programs that are held at the Y, that includes all schools except for Derynoski.
- UPDATED 9/2/2022: Carriage House Day Care in Meriden – Has openings
- UPDATED 6/9/2022: Great Beginnings in Plainville – Infant, Toddlers, Twos-no openings for the summer, Very limited availability for the fall. Preschool-no openings for the summer, lots of availability for the fall.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Imagine Nation, A Museum Early Learning Center in Bristol is accepting applications for their all-day infant/toddler and preschool program. Care4Kids accepted.
- UPDATED 9/28/2022: Plainville Early Learning Center, Inc. – Full with a waitlist.
- UPDATED 9/22/2021: Scott Swamp KinderCare Farmington – No openings at this time.
- UPDATED 11/17/2021: Over the Rainbow in Cheshire – Currently full and wait-listing children at this time. It is best to call as available changes all the time.
- UPDATE 9/2/22: YWCA of New Britain has openings and is accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year for full and part-time infant/toddler, and preschool. Breakfast, lunch, and snack provided. In-person, online, and hybrid options are available. Care4Kids accepted.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Childcare Centers category.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Southington Catholic School is enrolling for the 2023-2034 year. They also have space for the 2022-2023 school year for their three-year-old, four-year-old, kindergarten, and grades 1 to 5 programs. They do offer options before and after-school up to 5:30 pm.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Southington Public School’s preschool program is now accepting applications for community peers for the 2023-2024 school year at Hatton ES and Strong ES. Parents pay tuition for their child to attend the integrated preschool as a community peer.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA will be enrolling soon for their three-year-old Nursery School which meets on T and TH from 9:00 am-11:30 am and the four-year-old program which meets MWF from 9:00 am-11:30 am/1:00 pm for the 2023-2024 school year. They are currently full and waitlisted for the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATE 1/25/23: Village Green Nursery School is accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year for the 3’s program. The 4’s program is being filled with current students. They are full for the 2022-2023 school year but they are continuing to accept names to the waiting list. They do have some scholarship money available, as well as accept Care 4 Kids.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Zion Lutheran Nursery School is accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year, especially for the 3’s program. They are full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 3- and 4-year-old classrooms, there are a few openings for the PreK 5 afternoon program.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Preschool/Nursery School category.
Family Childcare (in private homes):
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Robyn Angeli – Currently Full, one expected opening in fall of 2023 for any age.
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Kristin Bausch – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 11/17/21: Terry Bourchard – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 1/2/2023: Darlene Butkiewicz – Currently Full, no expected openings until September 2024.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jennifer Cook – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Loraine Carbone -two openings for now to the end of August over 18 months.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Susan Cyr – Has one opening for a child who is 18 months old or older which includes a full PreK Program and all food. Also has 3 Before/After care positions available, in the Thalberg School District. Parents can call now to schedule an appointment – 860-620-7500.
- UPDATED 1/5/2023: Gloria Dorau – Before and after school availability for Derynoski (bus stop at end of the driveway). 1 opening for 2 years and above. End of August 2023, additional openings for 2 years and above and an Infant.
- UPDATED 6/10/2022: Angela Griffis – One full-time opening for 18 months and older and one part-time opening for 18 months and older. She has a full-time assistant. They provide before school care only with transportation to Flanders, Hatton, Thalberg, and Derynowski. Hours of operation are 6 AM to 3:30 PM.
- UPDATED 7/18/2022: Beth Mearkle – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Tracey Munson – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Jennifer Natal, 3 spots open. Ages 2 month to 5 years old.
- UPDATED 1/2/2023: Maria Nelson, Country Kids Home Daycare – Two opening age 18 months or older.
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Patty Rogers – Currently full.
- UPDATE 1/2/23: Marzena Radziwon – Currently Full until August 2023.
- UPDATE 8/23/22: Marilyn Sargent- Two before-school opening for Flanders school district in the fall.
- UPDATE 11/17/2021: Donna Voisine, Apple Dumpling Daycare – 3 openings for children age two and up, call cell for more information.
Contact information for these licensed family childcare providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under the Family Childcare Provider category. There are additional licensed family childcare providers who either did not respond to requests for information about open spots or who preferred not to be listed.
Note that anyone caring for other people’s children in their own home for at least 3 hours a day on a regular basis they must be licensed by the CT Office of Early Childhood. Interested in becoming a licensed family childcare provider? The ECCS can connect you with the right people at the OEC and local mentors.
The cost for childcare depends on the age of the child and their schedule. The cost per day is lower if attending all five days instead of part-time. Extended day options usually cost extra. The cost for infants and toddlers is usually higher since there is a lower teacher-child ratio and can run $230 to $320 per week. Care for preschool age children can be $36 to $60 per day depending on the hours. Some centers offer financial assistance or sibling discounts.
Lower and moderate income working families can apply for the Care4Kids childcare subsidy program. Phone: 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or web site: http://www.ctcare4kids.com