For working parents, one of the issues is the availability of childcare. The Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (ECCS) has been asked to help provide information about childcare availability.
Childcare providers in Southington and nearby have limited openings. Many can’t find teachers and assistants and the Covid pandemic has made the staffing situation even worse. As a result centers have empty classrooms and waiting lists. In addition, there was a mini baby-boom in 2021 with greater than 5o more children born then in each of the previous few years. There was already as shortage of infant and toddler spots and now there are more babies looking to fill them.
Contact information for local providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers or Family Childcare Provider categories.
You can also visit https://www.211childcare.org or call 2 – 1 – 1 for childcare openings State-wide. Once you do a search on the 211 Childcare website, and select a provider, you have the option to “View Inspection and Complaint History.”
The ECCS periodically surveys childcare providers in Southington and the neighboring communities to create this list.
Openings List Updated 3/20/2022:
- UPDATED 1/21/2021: Bright Beginnings – has a few openings for infants and for ages 3, 4, and 5. For school-age they have openings for before and aftercare.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jack and Jill II Day Care Center – openings in Toddler, Preschool, and PreK classrooms. Currently, Infant classroom is full.
- UPDATED 1/13/22: Giggles & Grins has no openings at this time.
- UPDATED 3/18/22: Margaret C. Griffin Child Development Center in Southington has no openings at this time. They are accepting applications for their waitlist for summer/fall of 2022 for their 3, 4, and 5 year old classrooms with priority given to families who are income-eligible, payment on a sliding scale. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers.
- UPDATED 3/13/22: The Nurturing Nest is currently full and is no longer taking names for their waiting list.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Leadership Martial Arts in Southington – has a few openings for after school with transportation to Oshana, South End, and Derynoski Elementary schools.
- UPDATED 3/16/2022: My Little Rascals is full with a waiting list.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: My Little Rascals Too is full for one year olds and two year olds. Call for openings for other ages from 8 weeks to PreK.
- UPDATED 3/18/2022: Town and Country Early Learning Center in Southington will have limited openings for one and two year olds starting at the end of August.
- UPDATED 1/26/22: Saint Dominics has three openings in their 4-year-old classroom. Must be potty-trained.
- UPDATED 8/18/2021: Stork Club is accepting applications.
- UPDATE 11/17/21: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA has some spots available for their full-day preschool program. They are not licensed for infants and toddlers. Preschool 4’s: full-time, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, or Tuesday/Thursday. Preschool 3’s on Tuesday/Thursday
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Great Beginnings in Plainville – has openings for nursery school which runs on M/W/F from 9:00 am – 11:30 am and full-time Pre-K 3’s and Pre-K 4’s 6:30 am – 6:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
- UPDATED 9/21/2021: Plainville Early Learning Center, Inc. – Full with a waitlist.
- UPDATED 9/22/2021: KinderCare in Cheshire – 3 full-time Infants, 1 full-time toddler, and 1 part-time (Tuesday and Thursday) for multi-age spots available.
- UPDATED 9/22/2021: Scott Swamp KinderCare Farmington – No openings at this time.
- UPDATED 11/17/2021: Over the Rainbow in Cheshire – Currently full and wait-listing children at this time. It is best to call as available changes all the time.
- UPDATED 8/19/2021: New Britain YWCA – Openings for full and part-time preschool. Breakfast, lunch, and snack provided. In-person, online, and hybrid options are available. Care4Kids accepted.
- UPDATE 1/18/22: Southington Catholic School is still accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year for their three year old, kindergarten, and grades 1 to 5. Their four-year-old program is full. They do offer before and after-school options. They are also accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATE 1/13/22: Southington Public School’s preschool program is full for the 2021-2022 school year. They are accepting application for the 2022-2023 school year.
- UPDATE 1/18/22: Southington-Cheshire Community YMCA’s three-year-old Nursery School program which meets on T and TH from 9:00 am-11:30 am is full and waitlisted for the 2021-2022 school year. The four-year-old program which meets MWF from 9:00 am-11:30 am/1:00 pm is currently full and waitlisted for the 2021-2022 school year. Registration for the 2022-2023 school year opens in February.
- UPDATE 1/27/22: Village Green Nursery School has a few open spots in the three-year-old class for the 2021-2022 school year, the 4-year-old class is full. They are accepting application for the 2022-2023 school year for their 3-year-old classroom, the 4-year-old classroom is full. They do have some scholarship money available, as well as accept Care 4 Kids.
- UPDATE 1/13/22: Zion Lutheran Nursery School is full for the 2021-2022 school year. They are also full for the 2022-2023 school year for the 3- and 4-year-old classrooms. There are a few openings for the PreK 5 afternoon program.
- UPDATE 8/18/21: YWCA of New Britain is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year.
- UPDATE 1/18/22: Imagine Nation, A Museum Early Learning Center in Bristol is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year. Registration for the 2022-2023 school year is not open yet.
Family Childcare (in private homes):
- UPDATE 3/20/22: Robyn Angeli – Currently Full, but will have an opening starting July 1 for 2 years or older. Currently setting up meetings with potential families.
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Kristin Bausch – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 11/17/21: Terry Bourchard – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 3/17/2022: Darlene Butkiewicz – Currently Full, no expected openings until September 2023.
- UPDATED 8/27/2021: Jennifer Cook – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 1/19/22: Loraine Carbone – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 3/18/22: Susan Cyr – Currently Full. Will have 4 full-time openings in late August of 2022, once school starts, for any age (one under the age of 2). She will start accepting interviews the first week in May. Parents can call now to schedule an appointment – 860-620-7500.
- UPDATED 1/19/2022: Gloria Dorau – Before and after school availability for Derynoski. In August 2022 will have 1, maybe 2, openings for full time care.
- UPDATED 1/18/2022: Angela Griffis – two FT or PT openings for age 18 month and over, and two for before school care. She has a full-time assistant. They provide transportation to Flanders in the morning. Transportation to and from Hatton, Thalberg, and Derynowski. Hours of operation are 6 AM to 3:30 PM.
- UPDATED 1/18/2022: Beth Mearkle – Has a temporary opening for 18 month and older through late June 2022.
- UPDATE 3/17/22: Tracey Munson – Currently Full.
- UPDATED 8/25/2021: Maria Nelson, Country Kids Home Daycare – Currently full
- UPDATE 8/27/21: Patty Rogers – Currently full.
- UPDATE 8/28/21: Marzena Radziwon – Currently Full.
- UPDATE 8/17/21: Marilyn Sargent- One before-school opening for Flanders school district.
- UPDATE 11/17/2021: Donna Voisine, Apple Dumpling Daycare – 3 openings for children age two and up, call cell for more information.
Several family childcare providers did not respond to requests for information about open spots.
Contact information for these providers is in the ECCS Town Resource Directory, look under either Childcare Centers, Preschool/Nursery School, or Family Childcare Provider categories. Note that there are additional providers who either did not respond to the survey or who preferred not to be listed.
The cost for childcare depends on the age of the child and their schedule. The cost per day is lower if attending all five days instead of part-time. Extended day options usually cost extra. The cost for infants and toddlers is usually higher since there is a lower teacher-child ratio and can run $230 to $320 per week. Care for preschool age children can be $36 to $60 per day depending on the hours. Some centers offer financial assistance or sibling discounts.
Lower and moderate income working families can apply for the Care4Kids childcare subsidy program. Phone: 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or web site: http://www.ctcare4kids.com